Thursday, August 11, 2016

Week 1 With Elder Shumway & my boy Elder Yorgason!!

Hello Family and Friends,

What an amazing week!! Full of surprises and blessings from Heavenly Father. First I'll update you all with the news that I am in a trio for my last transfer, AND Elder Yorgason, my good 'ole Idahomie it one of my companions! My other companion is brand new and I'm training him, his name is Elder Shumway, from Orem Utah. Great Elders that I'm serving with, I'm excited to end my mission with them. It's been a while since I've been a District Leader, and a Trainer, and I've never been in a trio so it's making me stretch but it's great, I've loved it this week and know I will the rest of the transfer.

   We'll start out with some unfortunate news, Ed, our super solid investigator who was supposed to be baptized on the 20th dropped us! We taught him the Word of Wisdom and he wasn't willing to accept that it was a commandment from God! It was really surprising and disappointing at the same time but we didn't let it discourage us! Everyone has their agency to choose to accept or reject the Gospel. Because of our continued faith and trust in the Lord despite this disappointment, He blessed us with a great rest of our week!

   On Friday afternoon as we tracted we met a woman named Kristy who actually knew a member of the Church in our Ward! We talked with her a bit about the Restoration and she was interested in learning more. It was really neat how we were led right to her street to find her and give her the opportunity to learn more about the Gospel. 
   Later Friday evening while we were out tracting we met a family of 3, a lady named Yvonne and her two daughters Malena and Bella (14 and 10). Bella reminds me so much of my Sister Isabel it's crazy!!! I'll take a picture with them the next time I can. Anyways we knock on the door and Yvonne answers and asks what we're doing. We explain to her that we wanted to share a message centered in Jesus Christ with them. She responds, "Well you came to the right house today!! One minute!" She goes and gets her daughter Malena who is especially interested in learning more about God and going to Church and we have a lesson with them. Then, they came to Church on Sunday!! A member invited them to sit with their family and they enjoyed it. They only stayed for Sacrament Meeting but they said they would be back next Sunday too! Amazing miracle!! They are such a great family, they desire to choose the right! Yvonne doesn't have much of a religious background, she was raised going to all different Churches, but she wants a strong foundation now for herself and for her children. It was so great to see them at Church, hopefully we'll meet with them again soon this week :)

   Then on Saturday our mission surprised us with a huge service project down in Detroit! It was actually right in my old area Roseville South. But we went down there from 11am-5pm and cleared the blight around a ton of abandoned houses, it was hard work! The organization running the whole thing is called Life Remodeled, they provided a bunch of weed whackers, lawn mowers, and many other tools for volunteers to use. It was great! A lot of people ended up wanting to learn what we were all about and so a lot of missionaries will be teaching people from there in the coming weeks! Just an overall great experience, it was awesome to see the difference we were able to make in the community as we all worked together. 

   Also on Sunday one of the Church members here brought one of their friends whom we are teaching to Church as well so there were quite a few investigators at Church this week! 

   Another miracle, on Sunday night we went tracting and the second house we knocked we met this agnostic 23 year old kid who was confused by all the different opinions people have about God and how to worship him. As we taught the Restoration and emphasized the Apostasy that happened after the Savior and His Apostles were rejected things started clicking for him! He said, "It's like the teacher left the classroom! And now the kids are just trying to teach what the teacher taught and so there's lots of confusion." We're like "Exactly!" And we moved into the Restoration of Christ's Church and His Gospel to the Earth. He said, "I'd like to believe this, but I don't know how I'd know if this was true." Then we taught about prayer and receiving answers through it and about the Book of Mormon, being evidence of this Restoration. He was really excited about it and we're bringing him a copy of the Book of Mormon tonight!

   I'm grateful for all the blessings that have attended us this week and I'm looking forward to the blessings the Lord will shower us with this week! I love being a missionary, I don't want to think about it coming to an end! It is a great privilege to devote all of my time, talents, energy, and means to the Lord and His work. I'm grateful for His Church that He has restored to the Earth through a modern Prophet, and I know that the peace and direction we seek in this life for our own lives and the lives of our families will only come as we hearken to the words of the Lord's Prophets and Apostles on the Earth today. Think about the amazing message that that is - That God is actually speaking through men on the Earth today, just as The Savior did through the Apostles of old. Do we really believe what we know?? I know if we do we will share it with all who will listen! :) I love you all and sure hope you have a wonderful week! 

Elder Goff

Service Project Photos


























No comments:

Post a Comment