Monday, September 5, 2016

Elder Goff-Final email


Dear Family and Friends,

The mission is an interesting thing. It feels that time has flown by, and it surely has!! But then when I think back to the beginning of my mission and try to remember the experiences that I had then it feels like a whole different life! I wish I could trade someone time and spend more time here in Michigan serving these good people - I really would if I could. I'm very grateful to my Father in Heaven for the experiences that I've had and all I have learned the last two years, it's incredible to think that He entrusts HIS WORK in the hands of 18-25 year old young men and women! He knows that we will become valiant disciples of Christ as we strive to understand and apply the principles of the Gospel and teach them to others, every single day, for two years straight. Who would want to miss that opportunity?? I've seen so much growth in myself and others and I know I will reference back to my mission for the rest of my life! The Lord has helped me to lay the foundations of Eternity on my mission and I'm so blessed to have served here in Detroit.
   Tuesday we had Zone Conference where we were instructed by President Cleveland and the Assistants, it was so inspiring!! All of the questions and concerns that I had were answered. Whether it was pertaining to our current work in the mission field or something I would have to deal with back home, the Spirit guided those teaching and myself as the student and Heavenly Father answered my prayers. He asked me to bear my testimony at the conclusion of the meeting and it was a powerful experience for me. I am filled with humility towards my Heavenly Father for all I have learned and become the past couple of years. I'm so grateful for the purity of Christ's restored Gospel. It is on the Earth today. It was gone - Absolutely gone for many centuries, but because of our Father's love for us, he has provided it again through a living Prophet. And it is the only thing in this life that we can build our foundations upon, and never fall. It doesn't mean we won't have trials and challenges! But we will have the answers and the clarity of mind and soul to endure through anything that comes our way. I know this is the Savior's Church on the Earth! Anyone who wants to know for themselves will be blessed with that spiritual knowledge, only after putting in the effort, truly intending to act on the answer God gives them.
   I came across a scripture in my personal studies this week that describes many of the people whom I have talked with on my mission - "And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be.I have also met many individuals who are ready to receive the Gospel! Those with humble hearts, who are seeking to know the will of God, who are willing to do anything it takes to know it for themselves. These scriptures describe them: D&C 29:7 "And ye are called to bring to pass the gathering of mine elect; for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts;"
and D&C 33:7 "And even so will I gather mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, even as many as will believe in me, and hearken unto my voice."  
   I have had so much joy as I have found those whom the Lord truly has prepared. Roger Bacon, Adrian Velasquez, William Lomas, Rao Olibiri, the Osuagwu family are some of those that the Lord sent us to, or sent them to us, who have made covenants with God and are now living as true disciples of Jesus Christ. And there are many that are still investigating for themselves, who will make it there eventually!
   We're teaching this lady named April whom I told you a little bit about last week I believe. SUPER PREPARED. She has some serious health issues that cause her to be in pain all of the time, every single day. But she has turned to the Lord this last year and she prayed for God to teach her more about Him and to show her a way to get closer to him. When we showed up at her house, she immediately recognized us as the Lord's servants, and she's preparing for Baptism now on October 1st!! I'm so excited for her and her family! They are in good hands, Elder Yorgason and Elder Shumway will take good care of them.
   I love the Lord and I love this work! It is his! A release as a full-time missionary is a lifetime call as a member missionary! And I promise the Lord I will continue faithful in that great responsibility. I'm so grateful for all of you who have showed your love and support for me these last two years, I hope to see you all soon! :)
Elder Goff



A couple of pictures of our District!



No comments:

Post a Comment